Boards Reconciliation 4 month relationship breakup

To post a reply login or register

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    xander279
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 5

My name is Alex and I’m 29 years old. I’m an American and I live in Germany. I met an amazing German woman where we instantly hit it off. We had amazing chemistry and an instant connection. For the first 3 months we spent every single weekend together and it was by far one of the best times of my life. We were always doing spontaneous things, having plenty of fun, as well as a deep intimate physical and emotional connection. It’s hard to believe that I’m 29 years old and this was my first serious relationship where I was able to share these kinds of feelings with, as she was also my first regular sexual partner. I don’t like using my relationship experience as an excuse for my actions, but I was deeply affectionate from the beginning with little self regulation, and maybe I pushed the relationship because I was unlocking these new feelings inside myself and pressured my partner a little bit. However, during this time I would say was the honeymoon phase. We were both indeed falling for each other. I had become a normal part of her life, we saw each other for the most part of every weekend, and when she had time we would meet each other for date nights during the week, and sometimes she would stay the night with me (she lived about 1.5hrs away). We constantly texted each other during the week. She never really brought any of these issues to my attention because I would say we were falling for each other and we had high expectations for our relationship. I think once she talked about how affectionate I was and how much I held her hand, and our constant closeness. She simply said she wasn’t used to it and was a bit overwhelming. I brushed it off as it was just an adjustment she was willing to make.

By the beginning of month 3 things started to bother her, as I would suggest we had moved into the power struggle phase. I had always had the confidence I never had with another woman, I had maintained the power throughout the relationship since I was the one overwhelming her with attention and affection, and that would be one thing that I would have done differently if I could go back. However, when she said to me that this has become a serious issue it really hit me hard. My confidence had began so slowly diminish and in the insecurity had taken its place. The following week she said she had a growing uncertainty of our relationship, and that she didn’t know what she wanted anymore, but she gave me the benefit of the doubt that I could change.

Afterward, the following month had glimpses of good times, but there was a looming feeling that made me uneasy sometimes. My insecurities were being raised, needed constant reassurance, and started to increase my neediness for her attention. When I didn’t have her attention I acted in a way that would exclude myself from social interactions just to get her attention, it seems as I was growing jealous.

By the end of month 4 she had confronted me and told me that I wasn’t the same confident guy I was when we met, and that she lost the attraction because my neediness and clingyness made me look weak. She hadn’t officially broken it off but said she needed time and space to think. My desperation began to slowly come out. Over the next week I had texted her less frequently but when I did I still sent her stressful messages that only pressured her more, lurking of neediness and desperation.

The next weekend I met with her and I had a gut feeling this would be the last time that I would ever see her in person. I got to her place and the worst part of me had come out. I was completely desperate speaking how much I NEEDED her, and that I didn’t want to be alone again. She once again said she needed another week to think about it. I called her later the next week to talk about meeting with her again. Trying my hardest to convince her that we need to have an evening together to put our differences and our problems aside for one night to enjoy each others company. She said she would think about it and would let me know. Well the next day I messaged her again, stressing her to come to me and let me cook her dinner. Later I realized how far removed from reality I was and called her, she let me know that she couldn’t come to me because she didn’t respect how I kept pressuring to see her. This is when we agreed to breakup.

This is when I started my first no contact with her, I failed at 2 weeks as I letting her know I was going on a trip and driving through her village. She actually responded saying when I was coming through and she agreed that I would be able to see her the following evening. The next day, she let me know that she couldn’t see me because she was still at work and had a long commute home; I figured that isn’t a problem and asked if I could stop by on my way back. She said it depended on what time she got back from her trip from Austria. Well the day I’m on my way back I messaged to see if I would be able to see her on my way back. She responded by saying that she was still in Austria, as I expected. She said that we could me later in the week.

As persistent as I have been I called her the next day seeing when we can schedule the meet. I mean we’re both busy people so nothing wrong with planning it (that was my thoughts at the moment). I asked if I could talk to her and she called me back. We started the conversation by just catching up and asking how each other were and then I moved into asking about when we could meet up. At this point she tells me that she could have met with me the past week when I drove through but changed her mind and said she didn’t want to see me. She said that the last time we saw each other she decided she wanted to be single. Then here comes the fear from my end and go in full desperation mode again, and then she says she met another guy which I don’t believe her at all because I believe she said it only because I kept pressuring her. At this point, I asked for her forgiveness and told her that I always cared for her, and said goodbye to her for the last time.

I plan on doing no contact for real this time, but for 60 days because in my opinion 30 days isn’t enough. She hasn’t unfriended me via text, whatsapp, or facebook to this day, but I completely lost my identity and need help. I’ve started therapy and getting to the root of my extreme neediness that caused this self-fulfilling prophecy to take root. I’m volunteering again, joined a downhill mountain biking group, reconnecting with friends and family, and increasing the intensity of my workouts. By the end of the 60 days I’d like to believe that I can regain my confidence and believe I no longer need her, but at this point I can’t entirely let go of the hope that we could work it out. I feel if I could get rid of this anxiety over the relationship permanently before I see her again, I can regain my confidence and be an even stronger man I was before I met her.

patricia12
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 2868

WOW! I’m worn out just reading about how smothering you were. I’m glad you’re in therapy as you really need it. It will take lots of time to change your thoughts and behaviors. The relationship was actually over a very short time period and you came across as a little controlling too. Anyway, listen to your therapist and follow the advice you’re given.

It’s impossible to know whether or not your ex would want to reconcile, but if you make improvements, it will be helpful for any future relationship you have.

I wish you the best..

xander279
    Participant

@ patricia12

yes I know and it is really hard for me to break this bad habit. I believe that we had a genuine care for each other. I think that we both had high expectations in the first few months, and maybe if I had handled myself better when she confronted me with what I was doing wrong, things may have been differently. What happened, happened for a reason and needs to be addressed whether or not we have a reconciliation.

I don’t think this being my first real relationship is an excuse for my actions. Something is clearly wrong with my behavior that needed to be addressed by a professional.

For the better part of 2 weeks I’ve been adjusting, accepting the breakup but I’ve had to start the no contact all over from our conversation earlier this week. I’ll see how I feel after 30 days and start with an elephant in the room message without any expectations of a response. I’ll still wait 60 days before I make any real attempt to contact her directly.

patricia12
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 2868

Continue therapy and I hope it all works out well in time. Keep us posted periodically if you like..

xander279
    Participant

Day 10 of no contact and I’m starting to feel a bit better. I still think about her a lot and the thought of reconciling, but I still feel far from ready to reconnect.

I went on a date last weekend and did some sightseeing in Cologne. It was a good time, but I wasn’t ready to date. It was worth it though to evaluate my state. She was a nice girl but ultimately I can only think of her.

Some days I feel good some days I feel bad, and sometimes feel really bad. Any advice? I’m starting to put my elephant in the room message together, but I don’t know how specific I should be with my apology. I feel like I need to apologize for the root cause, not the symptoms of our relationship.

leidy1000
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 265

Hi xander, your situation is very complicated. From my own experience I can tell you that most of us do the same with who we think is our first love. The first guy who I was taking serious got fed up. I got too controlling, too jelouse and was completely sick. Sick love I call that. The guy end up leaving me for the girl I was jelouse about. They never got into a relationship because after he broke up with me, she decided to not want him anymore. After that he never saw me as a gf material. And actually never ask me back. When we spoke it was like friends. I didn’t care much at that time I was 16 so I was pretty busy. I then started a long distance relationship with another man I truly loved. And then another one serious enough to meet my family. We broke up four months after too. Thats when I started a relationship with my now ex. I was 17 back then and today im 25 and broke up in march this year. Enough about me. You have to understand that even though you are 29, there is a beautiful love story out there. Maybe its not with your ex. You will get to love so many more ladies, but if you learn your lesson you wont repeat your mistake. I have never looked back after a 4 month relationship break up. That is the time that the relationship is supposed to be the most beautiful thing in the world. If you can’t pass that length of the relationship than is very hard to say things will work out later on. My advice to you is to continue your 60 days no contact. If you want to change your life, learn your lesson and try to reconcile later on, these 60 days are a huge must for you. I wish you lots of luck. I wish your heart is healed soon and you get to change your bad habit. A girlfriend and a boyfriend shouldn’t be too much together because they don’t get to miss each other.

xander279
    Participant

I agree, and I think the reason we pushed through the honeymoon phase is because we were together so much. We didn’t have time to truly miss each other, and messaging constantly didn’t help either. I didn’t give her the opportunity to be curious about what I was doing.

I can truly be grateful for the lessons this woman taught me. She showed me I’m capable of instense feelings for someone and that I’m capable of being cared for. Everyone is telling me I need to forget her or resent her before I can move on, I find that impossible. I don’t believe it was sick love or toxic love but just rushed. I think her being overwhelmed with my constant affection and intimacy took away the gratification of sharing these feelings. It was a selfish thing on my part because I did it only when I wanted to and rarely read the signs of when she wanted or needed it. She wasn’t used to this based on what she has told me about her prior relationships and she loved it but it was just too much, too often. The feeling will die and it’s meaning fades when it’s constant.

Do you think 30 days no contact is okay if I send an elephant in the room? I would send it without any expectation of a response. 60 days is exactly on her birthday and it’s a good opportunity for me to talk to her.

leidy1000
    Participant

Im glad you understand what went wrong. Thats an important part of making the change to reconcile. Now you must work on that which means follow no contact and let her see that you are not needy anymore. I believe thats what she wants, you to follow the no contact just to show her you changed your behavior. And 30 days is way too short to forget the neediness. Shortest would be 6 weeks. Think you can manage it?

xander279
    Participant

6 weeks may be possible. I need to use this time to work on myself. I’m already in decent shape and she was always found me physically attractive, but she noticed I stopped going to the gym when I was getting more attached to her, so I need to break the cycle of that and show her I can focus on something and better myself. I need to freshen up my wardrobe too to get a new look because it was getting a bit stale in my opinion.

I would love for her to see me in amazing shape, and it’ll help with my confidence as well. I’m also very indulged in mountain biking and volunteering. I need to work on another professional certification and continue to work on my german language skills.

If I stop working on it and I have the chance to see her again and I can’t have a decent conversation in German, she’ll know that I was only learning it for her and not for myself.

I want to be at that point that if I had the chance to see her again I won’t even have to bring up the relationship, we talked about what went wrong enough. I can just focus on rebuilding the attraction and proving to her I can be happy without her. Reconciling will have to happen after she is attracted to me.

leidy1000
    Participant

Sounds like a plan. Good luck I hope you can get her back. Keep us posted on your progress.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.